China is one destination which took me by surprise. We travelled across 3 states, visited more than 10 different destinations in China covering approx. 3000 kms, yet, It is an impossible task to understand the country and its nuances in one visit. Each City has its unique charm, food and its own flavour.
No matter, how informed you are or how perfect your research is, China is bound to take you by surprise. We landed in Tianjin and took a bullet train to reach Beijing. There was so much anxiety at first probably due to all the stories that I had heard and articles that I had read about China being a challenging destination to travel but we did not have a single bad experince during our travel, we received so much warmth from the locals that I vividly remember those happy similing faces even today.
It is a vast country with many cultures, beautiful nature, amazing architecture and many wonders. You can never conquer China fully. Choose the destination that fits your taste and I’m sure you will not be disappointed for China has something to offer for everyone!
Top things to know:
- Also called, People’s Republic of China. Local name: Zhōngguó
- Capital – Beijing; Other popular Cities: Shanghai, Xi ‘an, Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc..
- Language – Cantonese, Mandarin. English is spoken in few front desks, shopping malls in the capital.
- Currency – Chinese Yuan.
- Visa – Check this link to know the visa requirements Website Link
- Main Regions – China is roughly the same size of USA and the huge country in East Asia. Quite difficult to divide each region. Roughly, can say,
- Western China: the region close to Tibet with sichuan being the popular province
- Northern China: the region close to Mongolia with Beijing and Xi ‘an being the popular cities
- Southern China: the region facing the South china sea, close to Hongkong, Vietnam with Guong Dong and Guang Xi being the popular province
- Eastern China: the region facing the East china sea, close to Korea, Taiwan etc with Shanghai, Tianjin being the popular cities
- Must Visit Cities – this definitely will be a long list if I had to put all the cities here however,
- Beijing for Great Wall, hutongs, city vibe, & the history of the infamous chinese dynasty
- Xi ‘an to explore the ancient silk route, terracotta warriors, tasty food and its rich cultural & maritime history
- Chengdu for pandas and the sichuan culinary treats
- Shanghai to experience the modern china and its water towns
- Guilin for classic chinese countryside with beautiful lakes and rice terraced fields
- Chongqing for the Yangtze river cruise
- Power Plug – Plug A, C and I (220 volts; 50HZ frequency)